No current notices
About the Facility
Ixom’s Hornby facility has been in operation under various names since 1972 and employs 11 people from the Christchurch area. The company’s values of “We Do Things with Safety and Integrity” underpins the facilities commitment to operating its storage and distribution production operations in a safe and efficient manner, ensuring that the surrounding environment and community are protected always.
The Hornby facility is Ixom’s South Island facility for the receipt, storage and distribution of both hazardous and non-hazardous industrial materials in packaged form. Its purpose is to receive, by road transport, products from national and international suppliers for safe storage and subsequent delivery to customers. Facility activities are limited to only the storage and distribution of products - there are no decanting or re-packaging activities conducted at the facility as part of normal operations.
The storage facilities on site comprise of:
- Warehouse buildings - One large 2500 sqm non-racked building and a second smaller 625 sqm racked building compliantly storing assorted hazardous and non-hazardous materials.
- Hazardous substance bunkers – Storage of Hydrogen peroxide products, sulphur and strong acid products.
- Chlorine and ammonia storage compound –Storage of both Chlorine and ammonia gases
- Rear canopy storage area – Storage of liquid caustic alkali products and non-hazardous products.
The ancillary facilities on site are:
- Container import/export/storage pads
- Staging and truck loading / unloading areas
- Warehouse office area
- Commercial office
The main hazardous substances present at the facility are:
- Acids. Sulphuric Acid 77% and dilutions, Phosphoric Acid 80% and dilutions and Hydrochloric Acid 33% and dilutions.
- Alkalis. Sodium Hydroxide and dilutions, Sodium Hypochlorite and dilutions, Caustic potash, sodium chlorite solution and specialty blended industrial sanitisers.
- Oxidisers. Hydrogen Peroxide 60% and dilutions
- Anhydrous ammonia
- Industrial resins and solvents
- Raw materials. A large variety of hazardous and nonhazardous chemicals in both solid and liquid form used in industrial manufacture, sanitation and water treatment.
For information on these chemicals, please visit our Safety Data Sheet site here https://www.ixom.com/sds-search
Major Hazard Facility
Ixom Hornby has been designated as an upper tier Major Hazard Facility and as such, is required to satisfy the requirements of the Health and Safety at Work (Major Hazard Facilities) Regulations 2016.
Ixom has prepared and submitted a safety case to Worksafe NZ. The Safety Case includes information on:
- Our facility arrangement and details
- Hazardous substances kept on site
- Safety, Health, Environment & Quality Management Systems
- Identifying hazards and controls through safety assessment
- Potential major incidents
- Consultation processes
- Emergency response processes
Although the likelihood of a major incident occurring on our facility is extremely low, it is important that we inform our community of any potential major incidents and what to do in the event that a major incident should occur. Chlorine and ammonia gas releases has been identified as major incidents that could affect the local community. Measures are in place to prevent, mitigate and manage all major incidents.
In Case of a Major Incident
If it is considered that you could be affected, you will be directly notified.
Click here to download the Ixom Hornby Community Safety Information Brochure
- Premises near our facility (within 200m) will be advised by Ixom via sms or phone.
- Emergency Services will most likely notify premises within the affected area (up to 1.5km from site) and if necessary advise required action, however, as a safety precaution have a plan ready to action if needed.
- We suggest following Ixom on social media (@ixom Twitter or Ixom Global Facebook) to keep informed of relevant Emergency Services Alerts during an incident.
- Familiarise yourself with this safety advice
Contact Ixom Hornby Facility
Ixom encourages enquires from anyone interested in learning more about the Ixom Hornby facility
If you would like more information, please contact
John Guard – Site Leader on (03) 344 2811 or firstname.lastname@example.org
We are located on the site shared with Hexion New Zealand Ltd at:
135 – 147 Waterloo Road