No current notices
About the Facility
Ixom’s Mount Maunganui facility has been in operation since 1965 and employs 85 people from the Tauranga area. The company’s value of “We Do Things with Safety and Integrity” underpins the facilities commitment to operating its production processes in a safe and efficient manner, ensuring that the surrounding environment and community are protected always.
At Ixom Mount Maunganui, there are numerous manufacturing plants, hazardous substance storage facilities and other ancillary facilities.
The manufacturing plants are:
- Acid Make Plant. For making large batches of acidic chemical formulations.
- Alkali Make Plant. For making large batches of alkali chemical formulations.
- Aqueous Dissolving Plant. For blending chemical powders with water, that are used for many industrial applications.
- Hydrogen Peroxide Plant. For storage of bulk hydrogen peroxide and downpacking into packaging.
- Sodium Hydrosulphide Plant. Storage of Sodium Hydrosulphide solution, which is used in the pulp and paper industry as a scrubber liquor for chlorine gas capture.
- Small Mix Plant. Small batches of various chemical formulations, that are used for many industrial applications.
The storage facilities on site are:
- Bulk Hazardous Substance Storage. Numerous tank farms which store compatible hazardous substances. The three main tank farms consist of the Acid Tank Farm, Alkali Tank Farm and Sodium Hydroxide Tank Farm.
- Packaged Goods Hazardous Substance Storage. Numerous areas storing compatible hazardous substances in IBC’s, 200L drums and 20L pails.
- Warehouse. For covered storage of various raw materials and finished products
The ancillary facilities on site are:
- Container import/export/storage pads
- Overnight parking area for chlorine in transit
- Gantry for load in/out of bulk hazardous substances
- IBC washing
- Stormwater and tradewaste systems
The main hazardous substances present at the facility are:
- Acids. Sulphuric Acid 98% and dilutions, Phosphoric Acid 80% and dilutions, Hydrochloric 33% and dilutions and Nitric Acid 64%
- Alkalis. Sodium Hydroxide and dilutions, Sodium Hypochlorite and dilutions, Caustic potash and dilutions, Sodium Hydrosulphite and Sodium Hydrosulphide.
- Oxidisers. Hydrogen Peroxide 60% and dilutions, Chlorine gas.
- Raw materials. A large variety of chemicals used in formulations
For information on these chemicals, please visit our Safety Data Sheet site here https://www.ixom.com/sds-search
Major Hazard Facility
Ixom Mount Maunganui has been designated as an upper tier Major Hazard Facility and as such, is required to satisfy the requirements of the Health and Safety at Work (Major Hazard Facilities) Regulations 2016.
Ixom has prepared and submitted a safety case to Worksafe NZ. The Safety Case includes information on:
- Our facility arrangement and details
- Hazardous substances kept on site
- Safety, Health, Environment & Quality Management Systems
- Identifying hazards and controls through safety assessment
- Potential major incidents
- Consultation processes
- Emergency response processes
Although the likelihood of a major incident occurring on our facility is extremely low, it is important that we inform our community of any potential incidents and what to do in the event that a major incident should occur. A chlorine gas release has been identified as a major incident that could affect the local community. Measures are in place to prevent, mitigate and manage all incidents.
In Case of a Major Incident
If it is considered that you could be affected, you will be directly notified.
Click here to download the Ixom Mount Maunganui Community Safety Information Brochure
- Premises near our facility (within 250m) will be advised by Ixom via sms or phone.
- Emergency Services will most likely notify premises within the affected area (up to 1.5km from site) and if necessary advise required action, however, as a safety precaution have a plan ready to action if needed.
- We suggest following Ixom on social media (@ixom Twitter or Ixom Global Facebook) to keep informed of relevant Emergency Services Alerts during an incident.
- Familiarise yourself with this safety advice
Contact Ixom Mount Maunganui Facility
Ixom encourages enquires from anyone interested in learning more about the Ixom Mount Maunganui facility.
If you would like more information, please contact
Austin Brooks – Site Leader on (07) 572 6889 or email@example.com
We are located at:
166 Totara Street